Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Halloween I Am Poems

    Recently, we have been learning about different types of figurative language, such as similes metaphors, alliteration and hyperboles. To continue our learning and show our understanding, we will be creating Halloween poems.

If you want to refresh your memory about some of these devices or learn about some more, check out this great video!

 

 These poems will follow a specific format while incorporating some of the figurative language we have been learning about.

Each poem must include three of the following:

  • simile - a comparison using like or as
    • ex. I see the moon glowing like a lantern, illuminating the night sky.
  • metaphor - a comparison saying one thing IS another
    • ex. I hear the door creaking - it's sound a 
  • alliteration - two words in a row with the same sound
    • ex. I watch the kids dressed as ghastly ghosts fly from home to home collecting candy.
  • hyperbole - an extreme exaggeration
    • ex. I collect enough tasty treats to feed the entire city
  • idiom - a figure of speech - something that explains a situation but using words unrelated to the actual meaning
    • ex. I walk slowly up to the house because I am a scaredy-cat.

Some lines can include more than one literary device if you like! For example, you could have a simile AND alliteration in the same phrase.

Start by copying the following bolded lines in your notebook:


Who Am I?

I am (don't give it away here just yet - make it descriptive but still mysterious) 

I wonder

I hear

I see

I want

I am (this is the line that you say what it is you are describing)



I hope you enjoy writing and sharing your Halloween Poems!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Students - Do not forget to include your first name and last initial!